Thursday, October 20, 2016

Ezra's Birth Story

Ezra is now 7 days old and has stolen my heart a million times over! How I love my sweet, itty bitty baby boy! Before I forget all of the important, precious details, I should probably write my birth story down.

Wednesday, October 12th I woke up around 5 am after getting nowhere near enough sleep. I felt panicked yet catatonic. There was a tornado ripping through my head, heart, and gut yet my body was frozen solid. I stayed in bed crying and watched The Office to distract myself until around 9 am when I couldn't take being hungry any longer. I ate breakfast and tried to coax myself to do something useful (like pack for the hospital!) but I ended up calling my mom instead. I sat on the floor of Ezra's nursery and packed a small bag for him. I eventually ended up lying down and watched another episode of The Office right there on the floor.

Auston got home from work at 3:45 pm and he changed out of his uniform while I did my hair and makeup... yes, I did do my hair and makeup to go deliver a baby(; We held each other, we prayed, and we cried. A lot. We were totally unprepared for what was coming at us at lightening speed.

We ran a few errands to kill some time since we weren't supposed to check into the hospital until 7 pm. We shipped some packages, dropped some items off at Goodwill, and drove to Niceville for our last dinner as a family of 2. You might think we would want something nice to celebrate such a big occasion, but all that I wanted was Panda Express, so that's what we ate. Somehow we missed all of the normal evening traffic on our drive to Niceville so we still had over an hour to kill even after eating.

Rather than sitting in a Panda Express for an hour we drove onto base and parked at Post'l Point and watched the sunset (and an episode of Chopped on my phone!)

We're not normally the "kissy pic" type of people... but it just felt appropriate(; this was us parked in our car at Post'l Point just minutes before checking in at the hospital.

Around 6:45 we started driving across Eglin Air Force Base and checked in at the 96th Medical Group. I soon had an array of monitors and wires connected to me. My balloon dilation started at 8:50 pm and if you've never experienced a balloon dilation before, it is only marginally less painful than childbirth itself. Seriously, it was hell. Since my pelvis and spine both felt like they were splitting open, I didn't sleep much. Mostly I shook, cried, screamed, and tried my best to breathe.

The next morning, Thursday, October 13th, the balloons were removed exactly 12 hours after insertion. By that point I had dilated from 1 cm to 6 cm and quickly went to 7 cm by 11 am.

I opted for an epidural, which ended up being a spinal tap because the anesthesiologist stuck the needle too far. Unfortunately, because I had a spinal tap, my medication wasn't on a drip and it had to be administered to me every so often. I was told that my pain should be around a 3 or a 4 so I could feel my contractions but not so much that I was already exhausted by the time it was time to push. From 11 am to 5 pm I was fine.

At 6 pm, my back labor started kicking in. The only way I can describe what it feels like when your baby is sunny-side-up is that I imagine it's the same as a bus hitting your back. I kept begging the nurses to get the anesthesiologist since my pain wasn't supposed to exceed a 4 but was now around a 12, but I was repeatedly told to suck it up and breathe. Eventually after hours of the most intense pain I've ever experienced, they finally called for the anesthesiologist and he gave me a high dosage when he saw how hysterical I had gotten. Within minutes it had started to kick in and I could finally focus on breathing through each wave of pain.

After being in transition but stuck at 9 cm for hours, the doc came in and told me that I needed to dilate to 10 cm within the next hour or they would do a c-section. I thought that there was no way I'd ever dilate quick enough, but God was gracious and when they checked on me an hour later, I was fully dilated!

That was 9:50 pm. By 10:10 pm, my legs were in the stirrups, the doc came into the room and I began pushing. At 10:45 pm on October 13th, 2016 Ezra Knox was born exactly 2 weeks early weighing 5 lbs. & 10.5 oz. He was 18.5 inches long and perfect! When he was born, the doc found out that his umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck twice. Since Ezra didn't cry when he came out, he was immediately taken over to the heated isolet to clean him off and make sure he was okay.

I remember watching from the bed as Auston cut the cord and listening to him cry as he called out, "He's holding my finger, Mary!"

The recovery process was pretty brutal... I was asleep almost all of the 2nd day of Ezra's life. Auston had to help Ezra nurse on me and pump for me, because all I could to was throw up and then pass out. All in all, we were in the hospital for 5 days.

Ezra is tiny and sweet and perfect in every way. I am so blessed to be his mommy!

1 comment: